Sunday, October 20, 2019

Hope For The Future, Today

When I think about the future and what may or may not happen, I instinctively think about Hollywood's vision of it.   I'm not referring to the dreamy future of hoverboards, flying cars, and artificial intelligence meekly subservient to man (which I would rather envision).  No, I think of the far darker and dreadful nightmare scenarios that have been created: nuclear war against killer cyborgs, a zombie apocalypse and the struggles to survive in its aftermath, a fight against a Big Brother entity bent on imposing its will on its subjects.    These are some of the well-known examples of movies and television speaking to some of our deepest fears about an unknown future.    We are also fed an unending news cycle of despair and gloom each day in the media, whether we watch cable TV news or check the headlines online.     Is it any wonder we can think about the future and lose hope? 
In all honesty, I have no idea what the world will be like in ten, twenty, or a hundred years.    I don't even know what will happen tomorrow.  Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 6:34, telling us that tomorrow will worry about itself.   So maybe the best thing to do would be to live one day at a time, and not try to imagine how the future may or may not turn out.  In doing this, I can get the grace, joy, and peace to live for the day that I am living now.    God holds the future, and He does not want His children to be fearful of the future.   Even the worst one that Hollywood can come up with. 

No comments: