I will be honest and confess: I struggle with anxiety. It has been this way for much of my life. I am convinced that much of my anxiety deals with financial matters. Will I have enough money to pay the bills? What if something happens? (As I write this, I am dealing with a situation involving plumbing in my house that has been creating much anxiety. I will post an update). Sometimes it feels like I am one misstep or mishap away from falling into the abyss.
But it doesn't stop there. For instance, I fear I will be abandoned and left alone for the rest of my life. This is not simply about finding a significant other, but having others by my side through the best and worst of times. Or worse yet, what if God doesn't come through for me? Every "What If" my mind can possibly conceive comes creeping into my mind, and every worst-case scenario as well. It is no way to live life. It is also not good for me physically, as I have discovered that my body can heat up and it can feel like I am burning alive on the inside. Not a comfortable feeling.
So, after putting the problem in a nutshell, I know the solution is to be still and know that He is God, and His presence is there regardless of whatever my mind is telling me. It is hard for me, and I am writing to myself here as much as anyone else. It is easy for me to come undone in the face of situations where I am all too familiar with how I will react by default, by my own weakness. So once again I need to be reminded of the many things God has made plain through His Word:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)
God is reminding me in His still voice to do this. He intimately knows this child of His, and the things that trigger him, even better that I do myself. The challenge is to block out the voices of anxiety and dread that take my eyes off of Jesus and to let His Word and His Spirit comfort my heart and soul. He has promised not to abandon me, and whatever He has led me to, He will lead me through. He has done it so many times before, and He will do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment